Header image

It has been fun, while it lasted…

September 19th, 2012 | Posted by lars in iPhone | Molehill / Stage3D | ND2D | Talk

Since quite a while, I was struggling to make a decision. A decision, if I can continue supporting the flash community with the ongoing development of my open source Stage3D engine ND2D.

The sad answer is: I can’t. Despite it has been so much fun building the engine, being one of the few guys who could explore and tinker with the Flash Player 11 from the very early alpha’s (Thank you Thibault!) and bringing this engine to a level where it can compete with other professional 2D engines, it’s time for me to say goodbye.

The truth is, that I just don’t do Flash / Actionscript projects anymore. It wasn’t a conscious decision, more a smooth transition. Meanwhile, most of my client work is native iOS. I moved completely to mobile platforms. About two years ago, I started to play around with the iOS SDK and started to build my own little mobile apps. Started out just with a bit of experimenting, this is the platform I now use on a daily basis and I earn my money (mostly) building native iOS apps for clients now. After so many years of Flash and Actionscript it was really refreshing to learn so many new things and switch to a new platform with so different capabilities. I really feel comfortable in this world, being closer to the operating system than in a virtual machine. I think this was my main drive, try a new platform and a new language.

I was continuing to add features to ND2D, merging in pull requests and answering questions in the forum until now, but when you don’t use the technology in your own projects, it’s pretty hard to keep yourself up to date with all the new stuff that has been added to the platform and really bring the engine to a next level. And it’s a bit pointless as well. So I had to draw a line here. Sad but true…

It is so cool to see, what some of you have done with the engine and what nice games (#1, #2) you have made. ND2D won’t disappear. It will still be available on github with all examples and docs. And I hope it won’t be abandoned now. There are some really interestings forks (Hello Rolf!) you might wan’t to have a look at. If anyone of you wants to actively continue developing ND2D, drop me a mail!

So! Thanks to all of you guys in the forum (except the spambots ;)) for the nice discussions, interesting questions and code improvements. Thanks to sHTiF for some really cool GPU deepdives and Daniel for the nice email conversations about Stage3D. Thanks to everyone who submitted a patch or a pull request!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

14 Responses

• Morpher says:

That’s very sad :( But you did a great job, and a great framework. I hope Rolf will continue developing it

• sHTiF says:

Its sad to see you switch to another platform but I can understand it. Good luck with your future projects and I hope we’ll still see you in plaing with Flash here and there ;)

BTW on an unrelated note didn’t you implement SPH in AS3 some time back? I am curious what approach you used especially when it comes to efficient neighbour search any advice is appretiated. I am playing with it but its seriously bumping into AS3 performance issues when it comes to neighbour particle lookup using grid.

• lars says:

I’ll definitively play with flash for sure :)

Regarding the SPH: I managed to implement it based on some code fragments and the papers I read. The sorting algorithm… blah blah. Just drop me an email and Ill send you the sources. The lookup grid is the weak spot in SPH ;)

• sHTiF says:

Done man, dropped you an email at lats[at]nulldesign[dot]de ;) And don’t even let me started on AS3 weak spot, when working with C# and AS3 side by side its like Ferrari versus Prius.

• It’s sad to see a casualty of Adobe’s attempted framework genocide. Starling is boring and mediocre. I respect what you accomplished with ND2D.

I’ve been facing the same decision. I’ve been involved in Flash Platform development for over a decade (although not exclusively – I also do Objective-C and Android Java). But I really don’t like the way things are going with Adobe’s insane emphasis on the Starling universe.

I’ve committed myself to completing the Stage3D accelerated MadComponents (which will be awesome) – but I’m involving other developers in this project now, so I can withdraw from AIR – and focus more myself on MarmaladeSDK.

• lizhi says:

nd2d it is good.have a lot of man use it.
    i also code a 2d classes of are2d(http://animation-render-engine.googlecode.com/).
    i want to up it.but are2d it is too bad.have no good performance and api.nobody like it.and are2d say goodbye,no body heard it.

• lizhi says:

nd2d it is good.have a lot of man use it.
    i also code a 2d classes of are2d(animation-render-engine.googlecode.com/).

• test says:

oh.nd2d and nd3d i like.

• It’s sad to see that, ND2D is my favorite 2D framework.
    Good Luck~~

• Pingback: MadComponents3D – part1: The road less travelled « MobileAppDev

• Pingback: Replicating O(1), hybrid web proxy caches | MadComponents3D – part1: The road less travelled

• Shawn says:

Thanks Lars! Still the best Stage3D lib around, loved the API, you were awesome at answering questions in the forum. Thanks and good luck with everything!

• Pingback: Catching up with AIR Mobile | FlexWiz Blog

• devu says:

It is sad indeed. First robust stage3D lib ever for 2D stuff. You was one of those guys that helped Adobe explain to people that where 3D gpu there is a room for 2D as well. Then they decided to run their own. Starling is a messy implementation.

Back in time when stage3D has been introduced I also started my own, but focusing on mobile plugin and counting that they will bring stage3D to mobile plugin. I have to say that your engine was the best resource available to start and learn from. But we all know how that story ends.

I had to abandon my project, but it was also a beginning of new one. I am working on cross platform application framework implemented in native target platforms. Having some common API across them and interpreted language and IDE on top of it it is the place when technologies blends and you using the native language of your choice. The only thing that is missing to make it happen is implementation of common display list like tree structure.

If you don’t mind I will back to your library as a starting point, and wonder if you have an experience of developing similar structure for Objective C. I’ve got html DOM based prototype and Canvas will follow soon. Please drop me an email if you are interested.

And thank you for your contribution to this community from years.

P.S. you background on this blog looks like a crashed flash plugin. You making it even harder man ;)